Welcome to Brunswick County....
Brunswick County lies in the south-central part of Virginia on the North Carolina border. It is bounded by the Virginia Counties of Nottoway and Dinwiddie to the north, Greensville to the east, Mecklenburg and Lunenburg to the west, and the North Carolina Counties of Warren and Northhampton to the South. The County seat, Lawrenceville, is 70 miles southwest of Richmond; 90 miles northeast of Raleigh; 150 miles east of Roanoke; and 105 miles west of Norfolk.
The county has three incorporated towns: Lawrenceville, Alberta and Brodnax. Brunswick County consists of 59 square miles of generally flat or rolling land.
Elevations range from 150 to 315 feet above sea level. Drainage is provided by the Meherrin, Nottoway and Roanoke Rivers and their tributaries.
The county was formed in 1720 and named for the House of Brunswick which had assumed the English throne in 1714. Fort Christanna was the county’s first colonial settlement. The county has many historic sites including plantations and gristmills.
The first recorded foray by the colonists into what is now Brunswick County occurred in 1650. Explorers left Fort Henry (Petersburg) to follow the Occoneeche trail on an expedition for trading with the Indians to the south. By 1714 the area was known well enough that it was selected by Governor Alexander Spotswood as the site of Fort Christanna, a trading depot and school for Indian children.
In 1720 the General Assembly passed an act for “erecting the Counties of Spotsylvania and Brunswick” which directed “That five hundred pounds…be paid by the Treasurer to Nathaniel Harrison, esq., Jonathan Allen, Henry Harrison, and William Edwards, gentlemen… for a church, courthouse, prison, pillory and stocks, where they shall think fit.” The first courthouse was constructed circa 1732 on a site near Cochran. Moved to the east in 1746, the county seat was moved again in 1783 to be established at the present site. A wood frame courthouse, described by a visitor in 1835 as “a very handsome building” was built in 1784 on the site now occupied by the Brunswick County Museum.
The Town was created officially by an act of the General Assembly on 22 January 1814. The act directed that twenty acres of land belonging to Peggy Williams be laid off into lots and be know as Lawrenceville. Legend has it that the name was inspired by a famous racehorse, Lawrence, owned by a prosperous landowner who had built a nearby race track at the end of the eighteenth century.
Located in Virginia's beautiful Southern Region, Brunswick County is easily accessible via I-85 and Hwy 58 Corridor. Brunsick is an historic Virignia community and is home to great people, natural surroundings, historical sites, antique shopping and of course, BRUNSWICK STEW! The Brunswick Chamber of Commerce is an organization of community, business, educational, and civic leaders bonded together through mutual interest in promoting the well-being of Brunswick County as a desirable community in which to live, to rear our families, and to conduct our business. So GET A TASTE OF BRUNSWICK and visit soon!